SSAF–AAA Research Grant for Histories of Ideas, Art Writing, and Visual Culture 2018
Grant Focus for 2018
We invite proposals that interrogate how periodicals—journals, magazines, zines, etc.—contributed to the cultural politics of a historical moment, and the role of visuals therein. Proposals that focus on how the visual arts—including cover art, illustrations, cartoons, centre spreads, photographs, portfolios, and reproductions of artworks—were positioned in periodicals in different languages or regions will be given preference.
Areas of research may include:
1. One or more social movements that extended to periodicals and mapping the place of visuals therein
2. An interesting moment in the life of one or more periodicals, and the role of visuals therein
3.The travel of ideas on arts, aesthetics, and cultural practices within periodicals, and as they occurred via translation between languages
4. The intellectual contribution of one or more writers, editors, or publishers who played an important role in the evolution of a periodical, and in the positioning of visual arts within it
5. Debates on concepts and categories stemming from regional languages reflected in periodicals
- Individuals who are Indian nationals residing in India, or collectives whose members are Indian nationals residing in India.
- Individuals with relevant academic qualifications; or already engaged in research, or with access to private or public collections; or with professional experience in writing/publishing; or activists with years of engagement/experience in their chosen fields.
Deadline for Applications:1 January 2018
Duration of Grant :One year | 1 February 2018–1 February 2019
Grant Amount:Up to INR 3,00,000
Please click here for deliverables and application guidelines.